Friday, October 28, 2011

Fabulous Adventures of Practicum!

Hello, hello!
So I meant to post once a week during the practicum to share how amazing it was but alas, I barely had time to sleep with the little spare time I had! So I will just reflect upon the experience as a whole. I think I'll break them into lessons learned and make another post about hilarious stories.

Top 10 Things I learned from Practicum:
    1. Being a teacher is HARD and very time consuming, but SO
        WORTH IT!
    2. No matter how LONG you plan and how WELL you plan for a
        lesson it almost NEVER goes the way you plan.
    3. Kids will follow exactly what you show them/teach them, so
        model, model, model and model CORRECTLY!
    4. Kids are so forgiving and quick to forget. . . There were times
        when I had to sit in at recess with some kids for their behavior,
        but at the end of the day they just wanted to give me a big hug
        before I left!
    5. Kids have such creative minds that it blows me away. They are
        capable of so much and even if what they come up with isn't
        exactly right they at least TRIED and came up with their
        creative answers. (i.e. what do bees and flies have in common?
        answer I was looking for: they both have wings, answer I got:
        they both get into the house sometimes.)
    6. Having a substitute come and teach in your classroom is more
        often a nightmare than a help.
    7. You are always teaching, in and out of the classroom setting.
        Whether it is teaching about manners, the content you need to
        teach that day, how to act in the classroom, etc. there is always
        room to teach something.
    8. Don't plan on getting anything done the day before, day of, or
        day after Halloween, because you won't. (well maybe you'll get
        one thing in or so)
    9. Collaborate, collaborate, collaborate! There are so many good
        ideas out there and you can share your ideas as well. It is so
        nice to have tons of networks for teaching and resources if you
        are stuck on ideas.
   10. Heavenly Father loves each and every child SO MUCH! I felt so
        lucky to feel the amazing love that he has for the children in
        the class that I taught in. I almost cried on the last day that I
        taught because of the love I felt for the kids from seeing their
        potential through Heavenly Father's eyes.

Unfortunately I can't post the picture I took with the class for privacy issues, but I will always remember Miss Atkin's 1st grade class that I had the great opportunity to teach in. I can't wait to see what the future has in store for more teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment