Tuesday, February 28, 2012

South Island Part 1 of 3 or 4: Queenstown


Well, now that I am uber late in posting on the blog, I will now slowly try to make a comeback! Here are the pictures and brief… very brief explanation of what all went down on out trip to the South Islands. I will split them into the 2 main places we stayed for the time there.
Queenstown:

We woke up at 5am and took a taxi to the airport to catch the plane to the South Island. I have to admit before I go any further that I love riding air NZ for 2 reasons, 1) they give out free snackies with your free drink while on the flight and 2) they have the most hilarious informational video ever… featuring Richard Simmons and the All Black Rugby team. I posted the video for your enjoyment. J


Anywho, we got into Queenstown, dropped off our bags at a hostel we stayed at for the time being and went straight to the shotover jet.  For those of you who have been on the jet boat rides in OR, this is an extreme version of that with 360° turns and extremely close corner turns. For those who haven’t, it is a sweet jet boat ride that takes you really fast through a beautiful canyon with the above adventures. It was a super fun activity and afterwards we went to Arrowtown, which is a small touristy town that is located near a few Lord of the Rings sites. The site we saw here was the river where Arwyn crosses to save Frodo from the Nazgul.



Where Arwyn crossed the river to save Frodo


The second day there, we did a drive through Glenarchy, which is a countryside that has more scenes for the Lord of the Rings Sites. We saw “Lothlorien” which was where the elves lived in the movie. We saw the spot where they filmed Isengard  which is where the bad wizard, Sauruman, lived in his tower. And we also saw where they filmed the dead marshes that Frodo, Sam and Gollum cross to Mordor. I’m sure we saw and missed more sites, but I’m not totally nerdy about Lord of the Rings so I don’t know many of the other sites. One site still on my list which is on the north Island is Hobbiton! I hope we get over to that neck of the woods to explore around Hobbiton. After exploring Glenarchy, then we came back and went on an intense hike up to the top of a peak where they had the gondola rides and luge cart area. There was also a lookout deck with a breathtaking scenery.


Lothlorien- land of the Elves

See the similarities in the background?

"Come hobbitses. All dead. . .all rotten. Elves and men and orcses.
The Dead Marshes. . .yes, that is their name." -Gollum





Yep we stayed here for a week! It was heavenly!

We hiked all the way up to that little building up at the top!

No comments:

Post a Comment