Jumping from the second day of school
to the 4th day of school, I will help illustrate how the class seems
to be like… Raewyn (Ms. Pilbrow) is a wonderful person, a great teacher, really
knows her stuff but is all over the place and really talky. It has been rather
interesting to be in her classroom and as my principal says, Raewyn is a
butterfly… she goes where she will and does was she will and it’s best to just
leave it be. So that being said, she has teacher release time on Thursday
mornings and the secretary comes in and teaches until morning tea. I was aware
of this and Raewyn had put me in charge of the morning routine to get started
until the secretary came in, so I go about doing that when the bell rings.
About 15 min into the morning routine… there’s no reliever (what they call substitutes
here). So I’m dragging on and Raewyn comes in to check on how we’re doing and
realizes no one is in there besides me and the kids, she briefs me on what to
do next and not to worry, Nicki (the secretary) will be there soon.
With a sigh of relief I take the kids
to the library, which is the next item on the list for the day and about 20 min
later Nicki comes in… To which she comes over to me, says hi and asks ME if I
know what Raewyn has planned next until morning tea break!!! With a little
nervous chuckle I say I have not the slightest clue but will go find out.
Luckily Raewyn was still in the classroom and so I asked her was she would like
us to do. She told me was she would like them to do next, and then reassured me
that she would be back after morning tea break. Thank goodness she was back
after morning tea because Nicki couldn’t stay in the classroom when the break
came and I observed them while they had their 10 min snack break and then sent
them outside for their play break time on my own.
After morning tea we went and did
swimming lessons (they have swimming every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday).
After swimming they did a basic facts maths test and then had lunch eating time
for 10 min (they eat both morning tea and lunch in the classroom. There isn’t a
lunchroom) and then they go outside for lunch recess. So I head over to the
staff room to join the other BYU girls for lunch and not even 10 minutes into
my lunch Raewyn comes over to introduce me to the art specialist and talk to me
about how the afternoon is going to go. Come to find out, Raewyn had to leave
for a family emergency and was leaving me alone with the kids… But don’t worry!
She said the kids had art for the last hour. So I braced myself for trying to
handle 30 rowdy students, about 2/3rds of which are bigger than me,
with no lesson plans or notes to go off of… Let’s just say I was glad I just
had to last for 30 min until they went to art.
At art, I felt absolutely terrible
because they were extremely disrespectful to the art teacher and off the walls
with energy, but we made it through in one piece and so far there hasn’t been
any other days like this… *knock on wood*
No comments:
Post a Comment